Barrow Gurney Hospital opened in 1938 and was later commandeered by the Royal Navy during the outbreak of World War 2 as a Royal Naval Auxiliary Hospital.
It was used to treat seamen injured during conflicts or who were suffering from psychological distress, brought in through the Port of Bristol.
The Naval Hospital was decommissioned and returned to civilian use in 1946 and taken over by the NHS.
Patient numbers continued to dwindle over the following decades and in 2003 the Avon & Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership NHS Trust announced its intention to close Barrow Hospital by 2008.
By 2004 only three residential wards remained open. A report published by Mind in 2003 found that on the issue of the hospital's closure, opinion among patients was divided with groups of patients having strong feelings both for and against.
In 2005 a national survey of hospital cleanliness named Barrow as the dirtiest in Britain after inspectors found cigarette burns on floors, graffiti on walls, urine stains around a toilet and stains from bodily fluids on the bottom of a hoist chair.
The report, combined with the collapse of part of the ceiling onto the head of a patient the same year saw the closure plan brought forward and the last ward closed the following year.