The site had a long history dating being mentioned in the Domesday Book. In the 18th century it began operating as a foundry and at the beginning of the 20th century was owned by Hindleys. They built and exported heavy engineering plant around the world and even built a steam powered lorry.
Power to the plant was provided at this time by what was reputed to be the largest water wheel in Europe. This wheel was removed during WW 1 presumably for it's value as metal for the war.
During it's time as a food factory it changed from collecting milk from the farms and distributing it to various dairies for bottling and doorstep delivery to predominantly a processing plant to dry and granulate milk. The milk dryer was installed in approximately 1936 and the fact that it remained working until the factory closed was testimony to the German Engineers who built and installed it. The plant closed in 1998 and is now awaiting redevelopement