Urban Exploration - Butleigh Hospital
Butleigh Cottage Hospital was built south of Butleigh village in 1882 with a surgeon's house. It had been endowed by Sir George to receive the sick of Butleigh, Baltonsborough, Compton Dundon, West Pennard, Barton St. David, Kingweston, Keinton Mandeville, and West Lydford.
The hospital treated 55 in-patients and 280 out-patients in 1892. On Census day 1911 there were 5 in-patients and 6 resident staff and c. 1948 the staff comprised a matron, 10 nursing and midwifery staff, and 5 others.The hospital became part of the National Health Service.
A nurses' home was built in 1948 and a children's ward was established in 1949. In-patients included maternity cases, until 1977, and ear, nose, and throat cases. There were 25 beds in 1964. Most out-patients were receiving physiotherapy and a new unit opened in 1969. A day hospital was added in 1979. The hospital was open in 1998. Designed by George Skipper, it is built of grey lias and red pantile with later 20th-century additions.